NASAL IRRIGATION AND POST OP INSTRUCTIONS
2 TSP. SALT
2 PTS. WARM WATER
1 BULB SYRINGE
1 EMESIS BASIN (OR PAN)
- Fill bulb syringe with above solution.
****Note: if syringe is not completely full, it will not work.
- Tilt head forward over basin and put bulb in one nostril.
- Irrigate until solution returns clear through other nostril or mouth and repeat same procedure through other nostril.
- Use the same technique to irrigate nasal canaliculas (dressing tubes) with the soft catheter, supplied at the hospital.
*****Use the full quart each time you irrigate (one pint for each side).
Irrigate at least four times a day.*****
- Continue the irrigations for at least six weeks after the operation.
- Use a hot steam vaporizer at your bedside to prevent drying.
- Use a saline nasal spray (like Ocean or Ayr) to keep the inside of nose moist.
- Do not blow your, nose or sneeze. If you cannot avoid a sneeze, keep your mouth open.
- Do not use any drugs containing aspirin or Advil (Ibuprofen). Aspirin can make you bleed by interfering with your blood's ability to clot.
If you do not need the prescribed pain medication, you may use plain tylenol.
****If nasal bleeding occurs:
Home » Nasal Irrigation
- Take your pain medication and sit in a reclining position with your head elevated.
- Use Afrin Nasal Spray. Bleeding should stop within fifteen minutes.
- If bleeding is profuse or persistent call the office immediately.